Ok, so I am basically obsessed with black beans. Yeah they look a little gnarly and eating beans is so geriatric and responsible. Oh man are they delicious. I do put them in a lot of dishes – my dad went so far as to give me 6-7 cans of black beans when I moved away from home. The only thing that I had in my cupboard was black beans for a long time. It was sad, really.
There are so many incredible dishes that you can make with black beans. Plus, you not only get protein (which I as a vegetarian do need to up my intake of) but lots of fibre (keepin you regular!) and apparently they’re even good for your cardiovascular health. Now without further ado, I present you with today’s topic: Black Bean Burgers
I adopted my recipe from Skinnytaste: http://www.skinnytaste.com/2012/06/spicy-black-bean-burgers-with-chipotle.html. I make mine slightly more spicy because I’m adventurous like that.
- 16 oz Can of Black Beans (Rinsed and Drained) – I like the PC Blue Menu Brand if you have access to Loblaws.
- 1/2 Red and 1/2 Green Bell Peppers
- 1/2 cup of chopped green onions
- 2 garlic gloves peeled and pressed
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup of oats
- 1 tsp cayenne
- 1 1/2 tbsp of hot sauce of your choice (you can omit this!)
- 1 jalapeno diced
- Whole Wheat Flat Bread Buns
- Pepper to taste
- 1/2 Hass Avocado sliced, spinach and light mayonnaise (to dress)
- Step 1: After the beans are dry, mash them up in a large mixing bowl using a fork until it forms a thick paste. (I am lazy and made my boyfriend do this part, he bent the fork backwards. Be careful people, you are not Thor – though he is dreamy)
- Step 2: Add peppers, onions, cayenne, hot sauce, jalapeno, a dash of pepper and garlic in the bowl.
- Step 3: Add breadcrumbs and egg. Now, if your mixture is too dry, you can add another egg to it but be careful if it is too wet – if it gets too wet, chill in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Step 4: Mix everything in together.
- Step 5: With clean hands (!) Use your hands to form burger patties.
- Step 6: In a large frying pan heated to medium with olive oil, place the burger patties. Keep your eye on them, only leave them for about 2 minutes each as they will cook fast. Flip them over and they will look brown and crisp. Keep going until you reach your desired texture.
- Step 7: Dress them with avocado, light mayonnaise and spinach.
- Step 8: Enjoy!
You can also bake these in the oven, I just found that they were less floppy and flimsy if I put them in a frying pan. You can also freeze the patties and have them as a quick dinner option on a busy night. Unfortunately I didn’t take a photo of them when I made them…I was just too hungry! Feel free to use whatever condiments you enjoy.
They are truly delicious. Don’t be afraid to use your hands and get messy. It will be difficult to get all of the ingredients mixed in and make the patties if you don’t use your hands. They are also pretty easy to make. You should budget 35 minutes for the prep and 10-15 for the cooking time.
Happy eating! Let me know how they turn out!