As far as lean vegetarian protein is concerned, I love me some beans. I made a delicious (and easy!) white bean dip the other evening. I used gluten-free nacho chips to dip in it and also some of those Mary’s crackers that I previously raved about.
Beans are high in antioxidants, fibre, vitamin B, magnesium and zinc. Other than being good for your digestive system (Bart Simpson did call them the musical fruit after all), the soluble fibre in white beans is a blood sugar stabilizer. Not to mention that they can be pretty delicious and are a great source of protein that both vegans and vegetarians alike can enjoy. Now without further ado, here is the recipe adapted from the Vegan Project:
- 1 can of white beans (I used the Unico brand)
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 2 tsps dried rosemary
- 4 tablespoons of olive oil
- lemon juice from 1/2 of a freshly squeezed lemon
- Blend everything in a food processor. Or a blender if you are like me and sans a food processor
3. Scoop in to a bowl and enjoy with nacho chips or crackers!