I love me some black beans and I adore salsa. I have never tried making salsa before and so I thought that I would go with something relatively quick and simple for my first attempt. There is no cooking involved with this salsa, only chopping and mixing – you don’t even need the food processor! And it is completely vegan!
Recipe Adapted From VeganSheKnows
- 1 cup cooked, drained and rinsed black beans
- 1 cup of cooked frozen corn
- 2 cloves of pressed garlic
- Half of a freshly squeezed lime
- 2 tbsps of dill
- 1 jalapeno pepper, finely chopped (totally optional)
- 1 cup diced tomatoes (I used the Unico can of diced tomatoes but you can use fresh ones)
- 1/4 cup finely diced onion
- Pinch of black pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp of chilli powder
- In a medium sized skillet, cook black beans with 1 tbsp of chilli powder on Medium heat for 5 minutes or until desired texture. Don’t overcook them or else your salsa will be crunchy! (gnarly!)
- Heat corn in a small saucepan with boiling water for roughly 5-7 minutes until cooked.
- Let corn and black beans cool down.
- Add all ingredients in a tupperware container. This will make it easy to toss and organically mix all of the ingredients together.
- Chill in refrigerator until ready to serve.
- Serve with gluten-free or whole wheat nacho chips.
This salsa was a huge hit with my friends. Plus you get some added protein from the black beans which is more than I can say from regular store bought salsa. I’m trying my best to be more organic and natural in my food decisions and making things from scratch as opposed to the store bought junk just makes me feel so much better. You’ll also get lots of fibre from the corn and black beans, talk about being kind to your digestive system!
Of course you have the option to omit the chilli powder and jalapeno peppers if you’re palette is not ready for too much spice. This was such an easy recipe to make and I sung along to the Jungle Book soundtrack while making it. In honour of that, I will leave you with Baloo:
Let me know how your versions of this salsa turn out!