My apologies for not blogging as of late – I was suffering from writer’s block. That has been cured by my weekend cooking ventures as I had some girlfriends over last Saturday night for some wine and appetizers. One of my good friends is a vegan and another is allergic to gluten. This can make for some risky recipe undertakings but this time, I came out on top. I will share the other two recipes I made with you this coming week.
I made a vegan spinach and artichoke dip with the help of my lovely sister and it turned out fantastic. It was a great alternative to the heavy/cheesy traditional one that I am used to eating. It was really light and we ate it with Mary’s crackers (seriously, so delicious even though they smell a little peculiar) and gluten free/vegan nacho chips (and regular whole wheat crackers for those of us without special dietary needs).
You will need the following ingredients:
- 5 oz spinach chopped
- 1/2 onion finely chopped
- 3 cloves of pressed garlic
- 1 cup of artichoke hearts drained and finely chopped (you could use the frozen kind too)
- 3/4 cup of vegan sour cream
- 1/2 cup of vegannaise
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 3 tablespoons of sliced almonds
- 1 tablespoon of Earth Balance vegan butter
- Pinch of black pepper
- Pre-heat oven to 375ºF.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet pan on medium heat. Add in onions and cook until they are translucent. Stir in garlic for 1 minute.
- Add artichokes and half of the spinach, let it sit.
- Using an electric hand mixer, combine the sour cream and vegannaise until it is smooth.
- Add the sour cream and vegannaise with the remainder of the spinach to the pan. Keep stirring until the spinach wilts.
- Pour into a pyrex dish (or whatever dish you have handy).
- In a small frying pan, heat the butter substitute and almonds until the vegan butter is melted.
- Pour on top of dip that is already in the dish.
Put in the oven!
And here’s the girls enjoying the dip!
Happy cooking! You can find the ingredients at your local health food pantry store. Let me know how your dips turn out!